This article will walk you through the process of uploading your website files using the FileZilla FTP program.
- You will need to download a copy of the program from Here
- You will need the following details for your hosting account:
- FTP server name
Note: If you receive an “Error: Connection Reset” message whilst connecting to the server or during the FTP session you will need to change the transfer mode to Active. This can be done in two ways:
Site-specific (our server only):
- Click the Site Manager Icon (top-left)
- Add a new site using your FTP details
- Click the “Transfer Settings” tab
- Select the Active option and click Save
Globally (all connections through FileZilla):
- Open the Preferences within FileZilla
- Select ‘FTP’ in the list of options
- Set the transmission mode to Active and click Save
How to upload your website in FileZilla
1. Open FileZilla
2. In the 4 empty text fields at the top of the screen, enter the following:
Host: Enter your FTP or Host server name
Username: Enter your FTP username
Password: Enter your FTP password
Port: Leave blank
Click the Quickconnect button
This will connect to the the server and display the folder structure of your hosting account in the top right panel and the folders and files in your selected folder in the bottom right panel.
You can view the folder path you are currently viewing in the Remote Site: field. by default you will open the connection form the ‘/’ or ‘root’ folder.
3. In the top right panel, expand the folder structure from / until you locate the web root for your account.
For cPanel use /public_html/
For Plesk use /httpdocs
For Uber Cloud Hosting accounts, use /webspace/httpdocs/
For SmartyHost and Ilisys customers, use /public/www/
Once you have located the folder, click on it to view it’s contents in the bottom right panel.
4. In the top left panel you will be bale to view the folder structure for your local PC, expand the folder structure until you locate the location of the files you wish to upload to your hosting account and then click the folder to display it’s contents in the bottom left panel.
5. Highlight all of the files you wish to upload to your hosting account.
An easy way to do this is to hold down the Control (Ctrl) key, or Command key for Mac users, and click the items you wish to highlight.
5. Once the files are highlighted, click and drag them across from the bottom left panel to the bottom right panel. Make sure not to drop them on a folder as this will upload them into that folder and not to the web root.
FileZilla will now start uploading the files to the host server and will display the commands, responses and any errors during the process in the very top panel and will display the files and upload progress in the very bottom panel.
Once the files have uploaded to the host server, you will be able to view them in the bottom right panel and they will be live on the server.
Congratulations! You have now uploaded your website files into your hosting account using the FileZilla FTP program.